Monday, June 2, 2014

Punches and Die Cuts

When shopping at a craft store it's overwhelming the variety of die cuts that are available!  It's also clear that it could get very, very expensive to purchase the amount I'd need, so I've gone the punch and die cutting route.  That means I don't have to store a collection of die cuts and search for what I need.  Instead, I can cut shapes as I need them.  They're not as highly decorated as those in the store, but they're fun to make.

When I first got the Cuttlebug I had very few dies, but these from Big Lots were a bargain.  For the longest time I didn't use them, but last week I saw someone's cards that had a white die cut flower and I remembered this one.  They look striking when put onto embossed card stock.



The Stampin' Up Owl Builder punch can be used for owls or penguins, making it more versatile.  Making all those eyes is a fussy job, but worth it.  I have some tiny googly eyes which I'll try the next time.  For the owls I used patterned paper for the fronts.  The large penguin is made from ovals and hearts, all cut with Spellbinders dies.

 These three fellows are a little different.  I stamped a bunch of the sentiments at the last card class, so had to come up with a way to use them.  The background is embossed with the Cuttlebug Leafy Branch folder, and I did two of them and cut one along the branch to give some extra dimension.  They're sponged with some dark green.  The owl fronts are cut from some wood-grain card stock.  The owls were mounted on some springs to make them wobbly, but they were too wobbly.  I used a glue dot on the bottom edge to make them stick to the paper at the bottom. The following photo shows how they pop off the page at the top.



Here is the link to a video showing how to make the springs for wobbly elements.  There are more videos, but this is the technique I used.

No comments:

Post a Comment